Is There A Time Limit In Which I Need To File A Lawsuit For Medical Malpractice?
Yes, there is and that time limit is referred to as the statute of limitations. Failure to file suit within this time frame prevents you from filing suit at all. In Arizona, medical malpractice actions for personal injury or death must be filed within two years after the cause of action accrues. The claim accrues when you know or should reasonably have known you have been injured. In most cases, the claim accrues at the time of the negligent medical treatment. There are exceptions, however, when the injury does not manifest itself until a later time and in these cases, the claim accrues at the time of manifestation of the injury. Wrongful death claims accrue at the time of death and must be brought two years there from. There are some exceptions to the twoyear limitation period. The period is tolled if a claimant is under the age of eighteen, mentally incompetent or imprisoned. There are special claims requirements for lawsuits brought against governmental entities. For suits against local or state government, you must provide written notice to the government agency within 180 days of the date the claim accrues.
Speak to an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified medical malpractice lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local medical malpractice attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Medical Malpractice Articles
- Anesthesia Negligence
- Asthma/Respiratory Illness
- Birth Defects Or Injuries
- Nuclear Medicine (Cat Scans And Mris)
- Nursing Home Injuries And Negligence
- Obtaining Informed Consent
- Pharmacist Malpractice
- What Happens If I Am Injured In The Course Of Medical Treatment?
- How Do I Know If My Injury Constitutes Medical Malpractice?
- Psychiatric Or Psychological Malpractice
- Who Can Be Held Accountable For The Medical Malpractice?
- How Much Can I Expect An Attorney To Charge To Handle A Medical Malpractice Case?
- What Damages Can Be Recovered For Medical Malpractice?
- Does Signing A Consent Form Waive My Rights To File A Lawsuit For Medical Malpractice?