Which Is The Best Lawyer For My Legal Situation?
Some of the things you may want to ask the lawyer when you talk over the phone or meet include:
- How much experience do you have with legal issues similar to mine?
- How recently have you handled a case like mine?
- How was it resolved? (Went to trial, settled out of court, etc.)
- What was the result? (Did you win the case? Did you lose?)
If you end up meeting the lawyer in person for a consultation, you shouldn't expect it to last any longer than 15 minutes to a half-hour. Write down all the information you get from each lawyer. Review your notes a couple of times, and take some time to think things over before making a decision. Then, make an appointment to discuss your situation further with the lawyer who seems best for you.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Litigation and Appeals Articles
- Can My Attorney Quit?
- The Benefits of Litigation Funding Companies
- All About Affidavits
- Hiring an Out of State Attorney
- How to Choose a Litigation Funding Company
- What You Need to Know When Hiring a Lawyer
- Ending An Attorney Client Relationship
- What to Do if Your Attorney Doesn't Comply with Professional Obligations
- What is E-Discovery?
- What to Bring to an Initial Consultation With a Lawyer
- He's Just Not That Into You – What to Do When You Don't Like Your Lawyer
- How-To Respond To A Lawsuit
- What Is A Retainer Agreement?
- Under What Circumstances Should I Hire A Lawyer?
- What Does A Flat Fee Agreement With An Attorney Cover?
- Can I file a lawsuit without a lawyer?
- What Is A Contingency Fee Agreement?
- Is An Initial Consultation With A Lawyer Confidential?
- When Hiring A Lawyer Should I Consider The Lawyers Age?
- How Should I Prepare For My Meeting With The Lawyer?
- What Questions Are Important To Ask A Prospective Attorney?
- My lawyer didn't finish handling my legal matter. What can I do?
- How Do I Know Which Lawyer To Hire?
- On what grounds can I file a complaint against a lawyer?
- What Other Things Should I Consider Before Hiring The Lawyer?
- I want to thank my attorney for his/her service. What would a sample thank you letter contain?
- How long must an attorney keep a client's records?
- What Questions Should I Ask Myself In Making A Decision About Hiring A Lawyer?
- Will My Lawyer Handle Everything, Or Should I Help?
- How Does A Lawyer Set The Fees I'm Charged?
- Do All Lawyers Use The Same Fee Agreements?
- In Addition To The Lawyer's Fees, What Other Costs May Be Involved?
- Should I Get The Fee Agreement In Writing?
- What Should The Fee Agreement Include?
- How Often Will I Be Billed By My Lawyer?
- What If There's A Problem With The Bill Or I Can't Afford To Pay?
- What Is The Best Strategy For Working With My Lawyer?