What Should The Fee Agreement Include?
You should make the fee agreement with your lawyer in the same way that you would make an agreement with a contractor or other businessperson—tell the lawyer what services you will want and ask questions to find out what the charges will be. Ask a friend or relative to come with you if you are not sure what to ask.
Some questions you may want to ask include:
- How will the lawyer bill for his or her time?
- Who else will be working on the case—associate lawyer, legal assistant, or paralegal? How will that time be billed?
- What can be done to reduce fees and costs?
- What is the lawyer's estimate of the total charges?
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Litigation and Appeals Articles
- Can My Attorney Quit?
- The Benefits of Litigation Funding Companies
- All About Affidavits
- Hiring an Out of State Attorney
- How to Choose a Litigation Funding Company
- What You Need to Know When Hiring a Lawyer
- Ending An Attorney Client Relationship
- What to Do if Your Attorney Doesn't Comply with Professional Obligations
- What is E-Discovery?
- What to Bring to an Initial Consultation With a Lawyer
- He's Just Not That Into You – What to Do When You Don't Like Your Lawyer
- How-To Respond To A Lawsuit
- What Is A Retainer Agreement?
- Under What Circumstances Should I Hire A Lawyer?
- What Does A Flat Fee Agreement With An Attorney Cover?
- Can I file a lawsuit without a lawyer?
- What Is A Contingency Fee Agreement?
- Is An Initial Consultation With A Lawyer Confidential?
- Which Is The Best Lawyer For My Legal Situation?
- When Hiring A Lawyer Should I Consider The Lawyers Age?
- How Should I Prepare For My Meeting With The Lawyer?
- What Questions Are Important To Ask A Prospective Attorney?
- My lawyer didn't finish handling my legal matter. What can I do?
- How Do I Know Which Lawyer To Hire?
- On what grounds can I file a complaint against a lawyer?
- What Other Things Should I Consider Before Hiring The Lawyer?
- I want to thank my attorney for his/her service. What would a sample thank you letter contain?
- How long must an attorney keep a client's records?
- What Questions Should I Ask Myself In Making A Decision About Hiring A Lawyer?
- Will My Lawyer Handle Everything, Or Should I Help?
- How Does A Lawyer Set The Fees I'm Charged?
- Do All Lawyers Use The Same Fee Agreements?
- In Addition To The Lawyer's Fees, What Other Costs May Be Involved?
- Should I Get The Fee Agreement In Writing?
- How Often Will I Be Billed By My Lawyer?
- What If There's A Problem With The Bill Or I Can't Afford To Pay?
- What Is The Best Strategy For Working With My Lawyer?