What If The Essential Service Fails Due To The Landlord's Fault Or Willful Act?

If an essential service fails due to the landlord's fault or willful act, you can, at your option, by giving written notice: end your lease and move immediately; move somewhere else temporarily and not owe the landlord rent while you are living in substitute housing; sue the landlord for damages based on the difference between what the apartment or house is worth without the essential service and what you are required to pay under the lease; or make your own arrangements for the service and deduct the cost from your rent.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Landlord Tenant Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Landlord Tenant Law Resources