How Much Are Unemployment Benefits In Minnesota?
State law establishes a formula requiring the amounts to be determined by the average weekly wage in Minnesota and to be recalculated each year. The amount of benefits vary and are dependent on how much you have earned in your base period (The first four of the last five completed calendar quarters prior to the applicant's benefit year.) The minimum weekly benefit is $38. For unemployment accounts (claims) filed effective 8/4/02 the maximum weekly benefit amount is $467. Your weekly benefit amount will be the higher of either:
- 1/26th of your high calendar quarter wage credits up to a maximum of $350, or
- 1/104th of your total base period wages to a maximum of 66 2/3 percent of the current state average weekly wage. The maximum weekly benefit amount is $467.
The maximum amount of benefits you can receive is either 26 times your weekly benefit amount or 1/3 of your total base period wages, whichever is less.
During periods of high unemployment, extended benefits (extensions) allow applicants to continue receiving unemployment benefit checks after monies in the regular account have been exhausted. At the present time there is a federal extension in Minnesota. For more information click here.
Additional Labor & Employment Law Articles
- What is the minimum wage in the state of Minnesota?
- What Is The Law Regarding Overtime?
- Does My Employer Have To Provide Rest Or Meal Breaks?
- Can My Employer Fire Me Without Reason Or Notice?
- What Is The Minimum Age For Employment?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours That A Minor Can Work?
- Are Minors Prohibited From Working In Certain Occupations?
- Who May Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Do I Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
- Once I'm Eligible, What Do I Do To Receive Benefits?
- Can I Work Part Time And Still Receive Benefits?
- Are My Unemployment Benefits Taxable?
- Can I Receive Benefits While Attending School?
- How Do I Stop My Account If I Return To Work?
- What Is The New Hire Law?
- What Information Must I Report?
- How Do I Report?
- Do I Need To Report An Employee Who Worked For A Couple Of Hours Or Days And Then Quit?
- What If I Still Have More Questions About New Hire Reporting?
- Who Is Covered By Minnesota Prevailing Wage Laws?