What Will Happen If I Draw Unemployment Benefits While I Am Working?
You may be charged with an overpayment of unemployment benefits that you will have to repay before any further or future benefits can be paid to you. You may also be disqualified from receiving unemployment benefits. If you are working and drawing benefits, it will be discovered through a periodic audit of your unemployment claim for benefits. Anyone who is found to claim as much as one week of benefits with intent to willfully defraud the state may be charged with fraud. A fraud penalty may also be assessed against your current and/or next subsequent claim for unemployment benefits. A warrant for your arrest may be filed with the county sheriff in which you reside, for committing the act of fraud. The Unemployment Insurance Law provides that anyone found to have committed fraud in claiming unemployment benefits, whether such payment or benefit is received or not, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Each week claimed constitutes a separate offense.
Additional Labor & Employment Law Articles
- Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?
- Are There Regulations For The Hours A Minor May Be Employed?
- Can An Employer Require An Employee To Join A Labor Union?
- What is the minimum wage in Alabama?
- Is There Any Payday Regulation In Alabama?
- Can You Explain The Alabama New Hire Program?
- Must All Employees Be Reported?
- How Can I Obtain The New-Hire Report Forms?
- How Do I File A Claim For Unemployment Compensation?
- How Do I Claim My Weekly Benefits?
- How Soon After I Am Unemployed Can I File For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Much Compensation Can I Receive?
- How Do I Know If I Am Eligible To Receive Benefits?
- Can A Non-Citizen Receive Unemployment Compensation?
- How Can I Determine The Total Amount Of Unemployment Compensation I Received Last Year?
- What Is Trade Adjustment Assistance (Taa)?
- What Are Trade Readjustment Allowance (Tra) Benefits?
- Are Religious And Non-Profit Organizations Liable For Unemployment Taxes?
- What Is The Taxable Wage Base?
- Do I Have To Pay Uc Taxes On Part-Time Employees?
- What Information About Uc Do I Need For My Employees?
Search LawInfo's Labor & Employment Law Resources