What Are The Procedures For Obtaining A Resident Insurance Agent License?
- Complete required prelicensing education.
- Apply to the Department of Justice Crime Information Bureau for a crime check. Candidates may use form DJLE250, found in the Candidate Handbook. Crime checks cannot be more than 180 days old at the time of the examination.
- Assemble documentation needed for any "yes" answers to the application questions.
- Make an examination reservation with the exam administrator, Assessment Systems, Inc.
- Obtain passing score on the appropriate examination. The Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (OCI) will issue the license once they have been informed by Assessment Systems, Inc. that the candidate has passed the examination and are satisfied that the candidate has met all licensing requirements.
Have the insurance company appoint them with OCI by submitting form OCI 11001 to OCI. Candidates are not eligible to solicit insurance business until they are properly listed by each insurer. This form is available from OCI to companies only.
Information on Insurance Licensing for Corporations, Partnerships, and Firms is available online on the OCI Web site. The following licensing information is also available:
Reinsurance Intermediary Fact Sheet
Managing General Agent Fact Sheet
Information Sheet on Surplus Lines Insurers and Agents
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Insurance Articles
- Where Can I Obtain Insurance Licensing Information?
- What Is The Pre-Licensing Education Requirement?
- Please Explain The Crime Check Process.
- How Do I Register For And Schedule An Insurance Licensing Examination?
- How Do I Obtain The Licensing Application Forms?
- What Is The Continuing Education Requirement?
- Do I Need To Notify The Oci Of A Change Of Address?