Who Is Eligible To Become Licensed In West Virginia?

To be licensed as a Resident Insurance Agent, applicants must:
  • Be a resident of West Virginia.
  • Be eighteen years of age or older.
  • Be appointed as an agent by a licensed insurer for the kinds of insurance for which application is made.
  • Satisfy the Insurance Commissioner that he or she is trustworthy and competent.
  • Take the examination(s) administered by Assessment Systems, Inc. (ASI).
  • The Insurance Commissioner will not require an examination as proof of competency for a person applying for an agent's license if such person holds the designation of Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) or Chartered Property Casualty
  • Underwriter (CPCU).
  • Complete an approved program of study and present a Certificate of Course Completion at the test site.

Individuals licensed in another state who intend to move to West Virginia and apply for a West Virginia resident agent's license may apply for waiver of the pre­licensing education requirement and take only Part II of the licensing examination that covers West Virginia's state laws, rules & regulations.

To qualify for a WAIVER, an applicant must be able to furnish proof (Letter of Clearance) that, within the last sixty days prior to making application, the applicant held an active license as a resident insurance agent in a state other than West Virginia for each line of insurance for which application is made. Contact Agents Licensing & Education to obtain a Request for Waiver form.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Insurance Articles

Search LawInfo's Insurance Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More