Who Is Eligible To Become Licensed In West Virginia?
- Be a resident of West Virginia.
- Be eighteen years of age or older.
- Be appointed as an agent by a licensed insurer for the kinds of insurance for which application is made.
- Satisfy the Insurance Commissioner that he or she is trustworthy and competent.
- Take the examination(s) administered by Assessment Systems, Inc. (ASI).
- The Insurance Commissioner will not require an examination as proof of competency for a person applying for an agent's license if such person holds the designation of Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) or Chartered Property Casualty
- Underwriter (CPCU).
- Complete an approved program of study and present a Certificate of Course Completion at the test site.
Individuals licensed in another state who intend to move to West Virginia and apply for a West Virginia resident agent's license may apply for waiver of the prelicensing education requirement and take only Part II of the licensing examination that covers West Virginia's state laws, rules & regulations.
To qualify for a WAIVER, an applicant must be able to furnish proof (Letter of Clearance) that, within the last sixty days prior to making application, the applicant held an active license as a resident insurance agent in a state other than West Virginia for each line of insurance for which application is made. Contact Agents Licensing & Education to obtain a Request for Waiver form.
Speak to an Experienced Insurance Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified insurance lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local insurance attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Insurance Articles
- Where Can I Obtain Insurance Licensing Information?
- What Are The Licensing Application Procedures?
- What Are The Licensing Application Procedures For A Non-Resident License?
- What Are The Requirements For An Excess Line Broker License?
- What Are The Requirements For An Adjuster License?
- What Is The Pre-Licensing Education Requirement?
- How Do I Register For And Schedule An Insurance Licensing Examination?
- What Is The Procedure For Obtaining An Appointment?
- How Do I Obtain The Licensing Application Forms?
- What Are The Licensing Renewal Procedures?
- What Is The Continuing Education Requirement?
- How Do I Obtain A Letter Of Certification Or Letter Of Clearance?