Is There A Continuing Education Requirement To Renew My License?
LICENSE TYPES SUBJECT TO CE REQUIREMENTS
Life & Health; Life & Health Consultant; Property & Casualty; Property & Casualty Consultant; Title Experior Assessments administers the Continuing Education program. The Bureau of Insurance is not responsible for the administration of the CE program. Questions regarding continuing education should be directed to the special Experior CE tollfree number: 800.482.2366. The Continuing Education requirements are outlined in detail in a Continuing Education Handbook published by Experior. You may also access Online CE Services where agents can check their compliance status, request a summary of credits and create customized lists of approved courses. Sponsors can enter and edit course offering schedules.
Resident and nonresident agents and consultants must be in compliance with Virginia CE regulations in order to maintain their license(s). For most agents, requirements include:
- 16 hours of approved CE courses if you hold a single license type, or 24 hours of approved CE courses if you hold more than one license type. For special requirements for those holding Life & Health or Property & Casualty CONSULTANT licenses, refer to the CE Handbook.
- Two hours of Laws and Regulations credits must be completed by all producers during each biennium.
- No more than 75% of the credits towards compliance may be from courses categorized as Company/Agency.
- Limited carryover credit is allowed.
A nonresident agent can satisfy Virginia CE requirements by providing a Letter of Certification from his or her home state, along with the required filing fee and form. SEE THE VIRGINIA CONTINUING EDUCATION HANDBOOK FOR COMPLETE DETAILS ABOUT COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENT AND NONRESIDENT AGENTS.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Insurance Articles
- Where Can I Obtain Insurance Licensing Information?
- Can The Prelicensing Education Requirement Be Waived?
- Can The Examination Requirement Be Waived?
- How Do I Register For And Schedule The Examination?
- What Is The Procedure For Applying For My License After Passing The Examination?
- How Do I Obtain A Company Appointment?
- How Can I Obtain The Required Forms For Insurance Licensing?
- How Do I Inform The Bureau Of My Address Or Name Change?
- How Do I Obtain A Certification Letter?
- I Am Moving To Another State. What Do I Need From The Bureau Of Insurance?
- How Do I Obtain A Duplicate License Or Appointment Card?
- How Can I Check To See If The Bureau Has Received My Continuing Education Hours?