What Are The General Requirements For Licensure In The State Of South Dakota?

In order to qualify as a South Dakota resident insurance Producer, you must satisfy the following basic requirements: pass the license examination(s) required by statute; meet the minimum age requirement of 21 years of age for a Bail Bonds license or 18 years of age for all other licenses. Submit the completed Application for Individual Resident Producer License; remit a $25 application fee (only with the first application); submit an original letter of clearance from your last resident state in which you have held a resident license within the past three years; must show date of cancellation. Persons wishing to be licensed for Variable Life or Variable Annuities must meet all requirements above for a Life license and also: be registered with the South Dakota Division of Securities; have passed a Series 6, 7, 63 or 66 exam; and submit an approved application form, available from insurance companies or apply online at www.state.sd.us/dcr/insurance. Licensed resident or nonresident Producers of South Dakota are eligible to be licensed as Surplus Lines brokers, upon receipt of: a completed Application Form; a $2,000 bond; and a $50 license fee. Applicants should contact the Division of Insurance for the application, bond form and statement of regulations or obtain an application online at www.state.sd.us/dcr/insurance. South Dakota residents, at least 21 years of age, are eligible to be licensed for a Bail Bonds license. The Division requires: passing the Bail Bonds examination; a completed Bail Bonds application and $30 fee; a $10 appointment fee; fingerprints certified by an authorized Law Enforcement Officer; a credential­size recent photograph (full face); a completed Bail Bond license application; an Authorization and Release form; and a $15 check or money order payable to the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation. Persons who want to sell Crop Insurance or Multi­Peril Crop Insurance must hold a Crop License and pass the South Dakota Producer's Examination for Crop Insurance, Series 10­50. Anyone holding a Crop Insurance License is authorized to sell Multi­Peril Crop Insurance. Holding a Property and/or Casualty license does not authorize anyone to sell crop insurance.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Insurance Articles

Search LawInfo's Insurance Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More