What Does It Mean To Have A Lawful Right To Be Some Place?
Generally, if the bite occurred in any place that the person has a lawful right to be in, then the location, whether public or private is irrelevant. A lawful place falls into two categories, a public place and private property. A person has the lawful right to be in any public place. Thus, a dog owner is liable for any injury occurring in a public place. Examples of a public place include public streets, sidewalks, parks, alleyways, buildings, recreational facilities, and any private place of business where goods and services are offered to the public. So, if you are taking your dog for a walk down the street and your dog bites the person passing by you, you are generally on the hook for payment of any injuries that the person receives.
Speak to an Experienced Pet Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified pet lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local pet attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Pet Law Articles
- What Is The Relevant Law In Oklahoma That Governs Animals?
- I Run A Training School For Hunting Dogs, But I Have Not Been Paid For My Services. What Can I Do To Recover My Money?
- My Hunting Dog Accidentally Ran Onto Someone Else's Land. Can I Retrieve It Myself?
- My Hunting Dog Wandered Onto A Farmer's Land While We Were Hunting And The Farmer Shot And Killed My Dog. Is This This Legal?
- My Hunting Dog Was Caught And Injured In A Farmer's Trap. Will The Farmer Have To Pay For My Dog's Medical Costs?
- Am I Responsible If My Hunting Dog Bites Someone?
- Can The State Take My Dog Away From Me?
- What Happens If A Dog Or Cat Interferes With Animals On Another Person's Land?
- I Want To Breed Purebreds, But I Am Unsure About The Other Dog. Can I Force The Other Dog Owner To Show Proof Of The Breed?
- There Are Many Wild Dogs Running Loose In My Neighborhood. What Can I Do?
- What Happens If My Farm Animals Escape From Their Fences?
- My Neighbor And I Share A Fence, But It Is In Terrible Shape And Their Animals Are Always On The Loose. What Can I Do About It?
- What Is A Lawfully Built Fence?
- What Happens If My Hog Escapes From Its Pen And I Cannot Find It?
- A Cow Strayed Onto My Land, Can I Keep It?
- What Will The Sheriff Do When I Report A Stray Animal?
- How Do I Claim A Missing Cow That I Believe Is Mine?
- Who Is In Charge Of Keeping Brand Records?
- Another Person Claims That A Missing Animal Is Theirs, But I Am Sure It Is Mine. Who Will Win?
- Is It Illegal To Conceal A Strayed Animal?
- My Tenants Have Not Paid Rent For Several Months. Can I Take Their Cattle And Sell It To Pay For The Rent?
- What Happens If The Tenants Try To Re-Take The Seized Cattle?
- I Want To Start A Horse Studding Business With My Stallion. What Is The Best Way Of Doing This?
- What Else Can I Do To Protect My Horse Studding Business?
- I Found Out That The Pedigree Of The Stallion That Serviced My Horse Is False. What Rights Do I Have?
- I Think That My Neighbor Stole My Cow And Used It For His Cow Hide Business. Is There A Way For Me To Check The Hide?
- I Want To Brand A Cow But It Already Has A Brand Mark On It. Is This Legal
- Do I Need Any Permits To Move My Cattle From One Place To Another
- My Lost Dog Was Turned In To The Dog Pound. When I Went To Pick Him Up, He Was Sick And Died In His Cage. Can I Sue The Dog Pound?
- What Is The Dog And Cat Sterilization Act?
- I Was Going To Neuter My Dog When I Adopted Him, But I Have Been Busy At Work. Can I Get An Extension Or Will I Lose My Deposit?
- My Lost Dog Was Turned In To The Dog Pound. Will They Sterilize It Before They Return It To Me?
- I Want To Adopt A Pet For My Home, But The Dog Pound Has Strict Guidelines For Adoption. Can They Do This?
- I Am Worried About The Dog Pound Euthanizing My Pet. Are There Any Standards Or Guidelines That Must Be Followed?
- I Am Concerned About A Local Laboratory That Does Live Testing On Dogs And Cats. Is That Legal?
- Is It A Crime To Hit An Animal?
- Am I Allowed To Have A Cockfight In The Privacy Of My Home