My Tenants Have Not Paid Rent For Several Months. Can I Take Their Cattle And Sell It To Pay For The Rent?

Generally yes. Under the process of distraint, you can legally seize your tenant's cattle, but you may not sell it immediately. After seizing the cattle, you must notify the owner, in this case the tenant, within two days. If the tenant still refuses to pay the overdue rent, then the next step is to contact the county sheriff. The county sheriff will assess the debt and the amount of the cattle seized. If the tenant still refuses to pay, then the sheriff can authorize the sale of the cattle, and you will be paid for the overdue rent, and the cost of seizing the cattle.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Pet Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Pet Law Resources