If I Find A Stray Dog Can I Keep It As My Own?
It depends. You are legally required when you find a stray dog to report such a finding to your community's law enforcement association or animal control officer within 48 hours. If you do not do so you can be found guilty of a misdemeanor. If you do report the finding of a stray animal within the time given under the law, and there is no owner registered for the animal than you may keep it as your own if you wish. However, keep in mind that if you steal or take a dog, which is registered, without the consent of the dog's owner you will be subject to criminal liability.
Additional Pet Law Articles
- What Is The Relevant Law In Michigan That Governs Animals And Pets?
- Am I Legally Responsible If My Dog Bites A Human Being?
- What Does It Mean For My Dog To Be Considered A Dangerous Dog?
- What Are The Consequences If My Dog, Which Has Been Determined A Dangerous Dog Bites Another Person?
- My Dog Was Killed By A Law Enforcement Officer. Can I Recover Damages For My Dog Being Killed?
- Can I Be Liable For Damages In A Trespass Action If My Dog Enters My Neighbor's Property?
- Am I Required To Obtain A License For My Dog?
- Am I Required By Law To Keep My Dog On A Leash?
- Am I Allowed To Tie My Dog Up So That He Does Not Run Free From My Property?
- Is It Illegal To Let My Female Dog Run Free When She Is In Heat?
- Are There Any Legal Processes That I Must Go Through If I Sell My Dog?
- Is It Illegal To Abandon A Dog Or Other Animal That I No Longer Wish To Care For?
- If I Find Someone's Lost Dog Am I Entitlted To Any Compensation For Caring For It?
- Is It A Felony To Harass A Police Dog?
- Are There Restrictions On Where I Can Bury A Dead Animal?
- Do I Need To Obtain A License To Breed Animals?
- Can I Set Up A Trust Or Will So That When I Die A Person Of My Choosing Will Receive Ownership Of My Pet?
- Is Dog Fighting Illegal?