Can I Be Liable For Damages In A Trespass Action If My Dog Enters My Neighbor's Property?
It depends. If you live in a city and your dog simply enters your neighbor's land while running free you will most likely not be open to a lawsuit for trespass. However, if you live outside of a city and your dog is running loose and enters any land that is leased or owned and used for the purpose of containing livestock you, as the dog's owner, can be liable for any damages that occur. Additionally, if your dog, which is over 6 months old, is running at large and unaccompanied by you trespasses onto land where livestock is located it can be detained and you will need to show cause to a court for why the dog should not be killed. This rule also includes hunting dogs that are running at large, unaccompanied by their owners.
Speak to an Experienced Pet Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified pet lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local pet attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Pet Law Articles
- What Is The Relevant Law In Michigan That Governs Animals And Pets?
- Am I Legally Responsible If My Dog Bites A Human Being?
- What Does It Mean For My Dog To Be Considered A Dangerous Dog?
- My Dog Was Killed By A Law Enforcement Officer. Can I Recover Damages For My Dog Being Killed?
- What Are The Consequences If My Dog, Which Has Been Determined A Dangerous Dog Bites Another Person?
- Am I Required By Law To Keep My Dog On A Leash?
- Am I Allowed To Tie My Dog Up So That He Does Not Run Free From My Property?
- Am I Required To Obtain A License For My Dog?
- Are There Any Legal Processes That I Must Go Through If I Sell My Dog?
- Is It Illegal To Abandon A Dog Or Other Animal That I No Longer Wish To Care For?
- If I Find Someone's Lost Dog Am I Entitlted To Any Compensation For Caring For It?
- Is It Illegal To Let My Female Dog Run Free When She Is In Heat?
- Is It A Felony To Harass A Police Dog?
- Are There Restrictions On Where I Can Bury A Dead Animal?
- Do I Need To Obtain A License To Breed Animals?
- If I Find A Stray Dog Can I Keep It As My Own?
- Is Dog Fighting Illegal?
- Can I Set Up A Trust Or Will So That When I Die A Person Of My Choosing Will Receive Ownership Of My Pet?