Are There Restrictions On Where I Can Bury A Dead Animal?
Yes. If you bury or abandon the carcass of any dead animal in any lake, river, stream, meadow or other public place, or within 1 mile of another's residence who does not consent to the burial or abandonment you will be guilty of a misdemeanor. If you choose to bury a deceased animal's carcass on your own land you must bury the carcass at least 4 feet under the ground. You can be guilty of a misdemeanor offense every 24 hour period that you permit an animal carcass to be present on your property in violation of this rule.
Other allowable methods for disposing of animal carcasses include burning in a barrel or drum, or transporting to a facility licensed to incinerate animal carcasses.
Speak to an Experienced Pet Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified pet lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local pet attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Pet Law Articles
- What Is The Relevant Law In Michigan That Governs Animals And Pets?
- Am I Legally Responsible If My Dog Bites A Human Being?
- What Does It Mean For My Dog To Be Considered A Dangerous Dog?
- My Dog Was Killed By A Law Enforcement Officer. Can I Recover Damages For My Dog Being Killed?
- What Are The Consequences If My Dog, Which Has Been Determined A Dangerous Dog Bites Another Person?
- Can I Be Liable For Damages In A Trespass Action If My Dog Enters My Neighbor's Property?
- Am I Required By Law To Keep My Dog On A Leash?
- Am I Allowed To Tie My Dog Up So That He Does Not Run Free From My Property?
- Am I Required To Obtain A License For My Dog?
- Are There Any Legal Processes That I Must Go Through If I Sell My Dog?
- Is It Illegal To Abandon A Dog Or Other Animal That I No Longer Wish To Care For?
- If I Find Someone's Lost Dog Am I Entitlted To Any Compensation For Caring For It?
- Is It Illegal To Let My Female Dog Run Free When She Is In Heat?
- Is It A Felony To Harass A Police Dog?
- Do I Need To Obtain A License To Breed Animals?
- If I Find A Stray Dog Can I Keep It As My Own?
- Is Dog Fighting Illegal?
- Can I Set Up A Trust Or Will So That When I Die A Person Of My Choosing Will Receive Ownership Of My Pet?