Is It Illegal To Abandon My Dog Or Cat?
Yes. It is illegal to abandon a dog or cat unless you legally transfer the dog or cat to another home or animal shelter. If you do abandon your dog or cat you will be guilty of a simple misdemeanor which is punishable by a maximum jail term not to exceed 30 days and a mandatory fine of at least $50 but not more than $500.
Additional Pet Law Articles
- What Is The Relevant Law In Iowa That Governs Animal Law And Pets?
- What Do I Need To Do In Order To Legally Own My Dog?
- Someone Shot And Killed My Dog? Is This Legal?
- Can Someone Ever Kill A Tagged Dog?
- Am I Responsible For The Damages That My Dog Causes?
- At What Age Do I Need To Get My Dog Vaccinated?
- Do I Need To Vaccinate My Dog If I Am Just Traveling Through Iowa Or Taking My Dog To A Hunting Exhibition In Iowa?
- If A Veterinarian Thinks My Dog Has Rabies, Are They Going To Do Anything About It?
- Whose Job Is It To Catch A Stray Dog?
- What Are My Rights When My Dog Is Impounded?
- If My Dog Bit Someone, Do I Need To Report It To The Police?
- What Happens After I Report The Dog Bite?
- What Happens When Local Officials Think My Dog Has Rabies? Will They Take The Dog Away?
- What Is The Punishment For Violating These Various Dog Vaccinations And Reporting Rules?
- If I Want To Adopt A Dog From The Animal Shelter, Does It Have To Be Sterilized?
- Are There Any Rules Regarding The Training Of My Hunting Dog?
- Is Animal Abuse A Crime?
- What If I Hurt A Dog That Has Come Onto My Land? Is It Still A Crime?
- Is It Illegal For My Neighbor To Leave Her Dog Unattended For Days At A Time?
- Can The Police Enter Onto My Neighbor's Land To Rescue A Neglected Animal?
- Can A Person Perform A Mercy Kill On An Animal That Is Suffering?
- Is Dog Fighting Illegal?