If My Dog Bites A Person, Will I Be In Trouble With The Police As Well?
Maybe. If you recklessly, or knowingly, or intentionally allow the dog to bite a person by not taking adequate precautions to secure the dog, then you will probably receive a misdemeanor. You will only be in trouble with the police if you showed carelessness in taking care of the animal. For instance, if you knew that a fence was open, but you didn't close it, and your dog bit a person then you would likely be guilty of a misdemeanor. But, if the bite was a complete accident with no fault of your own, then you would only be liable for damages.
Speak to an Experienced Pet Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified pet lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local pet attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Pet Law Articles
- What Is The Relevant Law In Indiana That Governs Pets And Animals?
- How Do I Know If My Part Of The City Has Rabies?
- What Happens When An Area Is Quarantined?
- Can City Officials Force Me To Vaccinate My Dog?
- How Do I Know If My Dog Has Been Vaccinated?
- What Happens To Dogs That Are Loose During Quarantine?
- Are My Dogs Subject To Quarantine If I Am Traveling To The Quarantine Area?
- Can The State Order My Dog To Be Confined Even If There Is No Quarantine Order?
- Do I Need To Tell Anyone If I Believe That A Dog Has Rabies?
- Are There Any Restrictions To Selling Puppies?
- What Happens If Someone Sold Me A Diseased Dog?
- Can I Get Damages If A Dog Came Onto My Land And Killed A Chicken?
- Can I Kill The Dog That Was Trying To Kill My Livestock?
- Am I Liable For Damages If My Dog Bites A Person?
- What If The Person My Dog Bit Was A Trespasser?
- What If I Am Just Watching The Dog? Am I Still Responsible?
- What Happens If I Am Bitten By A Police Dog? Can I Get Damages?
- Can I Occasionally Let My Dog Explore The Area Outside Of My Home?
- Can I Abandon My Dog If I Cant Take Of It Anymore?
- How Is Cruelty To Animals Defined?