Is There Any Way That I Can Avoid Being Liable For Injuries That My Dog May Cause To Persons Who Are Lawfully On My Property?
Under Florida Statute Section 767.04, if you display a sign that reads Bad Dog, which is placed in the plain sight of any guests you may be able to avoid liability if your dog bites one of your guests. However, this exception to liability does not apply to children under the age of 6, or if a dog bite occurs because of negligent or reckless acts of the dog owner (i.e. if you know your dog is vicious and you let it out during a party).
Speak to an Experienced Pet Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified pet lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local pet attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Pet Law Articles
- Am I Legally Responsible If My Dog Bites Someone?
- What If My Dog Bites Someone Who Is Trespassing On My Property?
- Am I Still Liable If My Dog Bites Someone Because That Person Was Provoking My Dog?
- I Have Read That Some Dogs Are Classified As A Dangerous Dog In Florida? What Does This Mean?
- How Is It Determined Whether My Dog Is A Dangerous Dog?
- What Do I Need To Do If My Dog Is Determined To Be A Dangerous Dog?
- What Can Happen If My Dangerous Dog Bites Somebody?
- Can My Dog Be Killed By Animal Control If It Bites Somebody And Was Never Found To Be A Dangerous Dog?
- What If My Dangerous Dog Bites Someone Who Is Attempting To Enter My Property Illegally Or Commit A Crime?
- My Dog Has Killed Sheep Before. Does This Have Any Legal Affect On How I Need To Care For My Animal?
- I Found One Of My Animals Being Attacked By Another Dog And I Killed That Dog. Am I Liable Criminally Or To That Dog's Owner For Damages?
- My Dog Frequently Gets Loose And Harasses My Neighbor's Dairy Cattle. Am I Liable To My Neighbor For Any Injuries To His Cattle That My Dog May Cause?
- What Happens If My Dog That Participates In Law Enforcement Activities Or Assists Persons As A Seeing-Eye Dog Bites Someone?
- Is Cockfighting And Dog Fighting Illegal?
- Is It Considered Dog Fighting If I Use My Dog For Hunting Or Herding Livestock?
- Is It Illegal To Abandon My Dog If I Do Not Want To Care For It Anymore?
- If My Dog Is Sick And Will Not Get Better Can I Kill It Myself Or Do I Need To Take It To A Veterinarian?
- Can I Set Up A Trust Or Will So That When I Die A Person Of My Choosing Will Receive Ownership Of My Pet?
- My Pet Has Died. What Should I Do With Its Body To Avoid Breaking Any Laws?
- What Are The Penalties For Disrupting Businesses Where Animals Are Used As A Form Of Protest?
- Am I Liable If My Livestock Escape From My Land And Cause Damage?