What Types Of Licenses Does Louisiana Issue?
Louisiana issues the following licenses. Each license is valid only for the line(s) of authority shown on the license.
- An agent is an individual, partnership or corporation authorized to transact business, with the authority to solicit, negotiate and effect contracts of insurance on behalf of an insurer authorized to do business in Louisiana.
- A broker is an individual, partnership or corporation that, for a commission or brokerage compensation, acts for or aids in any manner in negotiating contracts of insurance, or in placing risks or soliciting or effecting insurance for an insured or prospective insured.
- A solicitor is any individual authorized by a licensed agent or broker to solicit contracts of property and casualty insurance solely on behalf of the sponsoring agent or broker.
- A surplus lines broker is any individual, partnership or corporation who solicits, negotiates or procures insurance with an insurance company not licensed, but approved to do business in Louisiana.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Insurance Articles
- What Are The General Guidelines For An Insurance License?
- What Are The Application Filing Requirements?
- What Are The General Resident License Requirements?
- What Are The Pre-Licensing Education Requirements?
- Are The Exams Good For All Lines?
- Can I Be Exempt From Pre-Licensing And Exam Requirements?
- How Do I Begin The Application Process?
- Which Licenses Require An Exam?
- What Are The License Application Fees?
- How Do I License My Company As An Agency?
- What Are The Requirements For A Nonresident Individual License?
- What If I Am An Agent Moving To Louisiana?
- What Is The Procedure For Registering For An Exam?
- What Are The Exam Fees For Louisiana?
- How Do I Schedule Or Cancel And Exam?
- How Is The Exam Given?
- What Are The Security Procedures During The Exam?
- What Are Some Special Test Considerations For Someone With A Disability Or Where English Is Not Their Primary Language?
- What Is The Question Format?
- When Will I Receive My License?
- When Does My License Renew?
- My License Has Lapsed, How Do I Get It Reinstated?
- What Are The Continuing Education (Ce) Requirements?
- What If I Need Additional Appointments?
- What If My Address Changes?
- How Do I Obtain A Letter Of Certification?