What Should I Do With My Current Policy?
- If you decide to replace your policy, don`t cancel your old policy until you have received the new one.
- It may be costly to replace a policy. Much of what you paid in the early years of the policy was the company`s cost of selling and issuing the policy. You may pay this type of cost again if you buy a new policy.
- Ask your tax advisor if dropping your policy could affect your income taxes.
- If you are older or your health has changed, premiums for the new policy will often be higher. You will not be able to buy a new policy if you are not insurable.
- You may have valuable rights and benefits in the policy you now have that are not in the new one.
- If the policy you have now no longer meets your needs, you may not have to replace it. You might be able to change the policy or add to it to get the coverage or benefits you now want.
- At least in the beginning, a new policy may pay no benefits for some causes of death covered in the policy you now have.
In all cases, if you are thinking of buying a new policy, check with the agent or company that issued you the one you have now. When you bought your old policy, you may have seen an illustration of the benefits of your policy. Before replacing your policy, ask your agent or company for an updated illustration. Check to see how the policy has performed and what you might expect in the future, based on the amounts the company is paying now.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Life Insurance Articles
- What Are Some Important Initial Considerations?
- What Are Some Important Considerations In Choosing My Policy?
- What Should I Consider When I Actually Buy Life Insurance?
- What Is The Right Type Of Life Insurance For Me?
- What Is A Level Term?
- What Is An Annual Or Yearly Renewable Term?
- What Are The Benefits Have Having Term Insurance?
- How Are The Premiums Determined?
- How Do I Select An Agent And A Life Insurance Provider?
- What Are The Different Types Of Life Insurance Policies?