What Must Be Submitted To Apply For A Surplus Lines License?

To apply for a Surplus Lines Broker license, the applicant must submit:

  • Application Form 8301
  • License fee of $100.00
  • Proof of Financial Responsibility in the amount of at least $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 in the aggregate, which must be in the form of: Errors and Omissions policy issued by an authorized insurer and filed on Form 99­1, or
  • Letter of Credit on Form 99­2, or
  • Surety Bond issued by an authorized corporate surety and filed on Form 99­3, or
  • A combination of a bond and a deposit filed on Form 99­2 and Form 99­3
  • Penal Bond issued by an authorized corporate surety in favor of the State of Kentucky in the sum of $50,000
  • (The policy, bond, or deposit shall not be terminated unless the issuer gives the Surplus Lines Broker and the Department of Insurance at least thirty days' prior written notice.)

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Insurance Articles

Search LawInfo's Insurance Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More