What Types Of Licenses Are Available In Indiana?
- Insurance agent
Any individual, corporation or limited liability company who or which, for compensation, acts or aids in any manner in soliciting applications for a policy of insurance or in negotiating policies of insurance on behalf of an insurer.
- Surplus lines insurance agent
An individual, a corporation or a limited liability company who or which solicits, negotiates or procures a policy of insurance in an insurance company not licensed to transact business in Indiana, which policy cannot be procured from insurers licensed to do business in Indiana.
- Limited insurance representative
An individual, corporation or limited liability company who or which is authorized by the Commissioner to solicit or negotiate contracts for a particular line of insurance as designated in Title 27, Article 1, Chapter 15.5 of the Indiana Code, or for certain restricted activities that the Commissioner may by regulation deem essential for the transaction of business in this state and that does not require the professional competency demanded for an insurance agent's license.
An individual, a corporation, or a limited liability company who or which, for a fee, holds himself or itself out to the public as engaged in the business of offering any advice, counsel, opinion or service with respect to the benefits, advantages or disadvantages promised under any policy of insurance that could be issued in this state.
In accordance with Indiana statutes and regulations, each applicant for licensing as an insurance agent, surplus lines agent, limited insurance representative or insurance consultant must pass an examination before becoming licensed by the Department.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Insurance Articles
- How Do I Obtain An Insurance License In Indiana?
- What Licenses Require And Examination?
- What Licenses Do Not Require An Examination?
- What Are The Requirements For Obtaining A Resident License?
- What Are The Pre-Licensing Education Requirements?
- What Are The Nonresident License Requirements?
- What If I Am An Agent That Moves To Indiana?
- Can I Be Exempt From Pre-Licensing Education And Examination Requirements?
- Additional Licensing Information
- What Is The Procedure For Registering For An Exam?
- What Is The Fee To Take An Exam?
- How Do I Schedule Or Cancel An Exam?
- Social Security Number Confidentiality
- How Is The Exam Given?
- Can Arrangements Be Made For Someone With A Disability To Take The Exam?
- What Is The Question Format?
- How Do I Apply For A License?
- What Are The License Fees?
- How Do I Obtain A Current Certification Letter?
- How Do I Change My Name Or Address?
- Does Indiana Issue Temporary Licenses?
- What Are The Continuing Education (Ce) Requirements?
- License Qualifications Subject To Ce Requirements