Additional Licensing Information
Consultants may not continue to hold an insurance agent, surplus lines agent or limited insurance representative license, once licensed as a consultant. No licensed consultant may employ, be employed by, be in partnership with or receive any remuneration whatsoever from any licensed insurance agent, surplus lines insurance agent, limited insurance representative or insurer, except that a consultant may be compensated by an insurer for providing consulting services to the insurer. No consultant license is required for the following:
- attorneys licensed to practice law in Indiana acting in their professional capacity;
- a duly licensed insurance agent or surplus lines insurance agent;
- a trust officer of a bank acting in the normal course of his/her employment; or
- an actuary of a certified public accountant who provides information, recommendations, advice or services in her/his professional capacity.
- Limited Insurance Representatives
Limited insurance representatives may only be licensed as limited travel accident, travel baggage agents, prearranged funeral insurance agents, crop hail insurance agents or similar limited representatives, as determined by the Commissioner.
- Surplus Lines Insurance Agent requirements
Any applicant for a surplus lines insurance agent license must file with the Department, and keep in effect, a bond in the penal sum of not less than $20,000, before a license may be issued. Contact the Department for the required bond form. Surplus Lines Tax Bond form and Surplus Lines Application.
- Bail Bond or Recovery Agent requirements
Applicants for bail or recovery agent licenses must apply directly to the Department prior to taking an examination. The Department will review the application and determine if the applicant is eligible to take the exam. The Department will issue a Certificate of Eligibility to the approved applicant. This Certificate of Eligibility is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance. The original Certificate of Eligibility must be presented at the testing center on the examination date. Contact the Department for further information regarding bail or recovery agent application procedures.
- The Examination Process
The Department has contracted with Experior Assessments™, LLC (Experior) of St. Paul, Minn., to conduct its examination program. Experior provides computerized examinations through a multistate network of testing centers. The Indiana Experior testing centers are located in Evansville, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis and Merrillville. Note that the Cincinnati, Ohio, and Louisville, Ky., testing centers may be more convenient to your location. You may test at any of the Experior testing centers nationwide. Experior works closely with the Department and its Examination Review Committee to assure you that examinations meet local requirements and professional test development standards. All questions and requests for information about exams should be directed to:
1360 Energy Park Drive
St. Paul, MN 551085252
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Insurance Articles
- How Do I Obtain An Insurance License In Indiana?
- What Types Of Licenses Are Available In Indiana?
- What Licenses Require And Examination?
- What Licenses Do Not Require An Examination?
- What Are The Requirements For Obtaining A Resident License?
- What Are The Pre-Licensing Education Requirements?
- What Are The Nonresident License Requirements?
- What If I Am An Agent That Moves To Indiana?
- Can I Be Exempt From Pre-Licensing Education And Examination Requirements?
- What Is The Procedure For Registering For An Exam?
- What Is The Fee To Take An Exam?
- How Do I Schedule Or Cancel An Exam?
- Social Security Number Confidentiality
- How Is The Exam Given?
- Can Arrangements Be Made For Someone With A Disability To Take The Exam?
- What Is The Question Format?
- How Do I Apply For A License?
- What Are The License Fees?
- How Do I Obtain A Current Certification Letter?
- How Do I Change My Name Or Address?
- Does Indiana Issue Temporary Licenses?
- What Are The Continuing Education (Ce) Requirements?
- License Qualifications Subject To Ce Requirements