How Do I Obtain An Insurance License In Indiana?
The Indiana Department of Insurance is empowered by Title 27, Article 1, of the Indiana Code to qualify those who wish to operate as insurance agents, surplus lines agents, insurance consultants and limited insurance representatives in Indiana. The legislature may make changes annually to these laws, and administrative procedures may be changed at any time. Licensees are expected to be aware of changes in the law that affect their occupational practice.
Some licenses require successful completion of a prescribed study course and an examination, or an examination only, before an application for licensure may be submitted to the Department. Other licenses have no prelicensing study course or examination requirements before application. While prelicensing education should help you pass the examination, it may not cover all of the material that will be in the test.
After you fulfill prelicensing study course and examination requirements (if necessary), you may submit your application for licensure to the Department. The Department will review your application materials, and if your application is approved, the Department will send you a license and you may begin to solicit insurance of the type for which you have received a license. If your application is denied, you will be notified in writing as to the reason for such denial. You may not receive or accept, directly or indirectly, any commission or other valuable consideration unless you were properly licensed at the time of the transaction out of which arose the right to such commission or other valuable consideration and you are a duly appointed agent of the insurer at the time that such insurer pays such commission or other valuable consideration.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Insurance Articles
- What Types Of Licenses Are Available In Indiana?
- What Licenses Require And Examination?
- What Licenses Do Not Require An Examination?
- What Are The Requirements For Obtaining A Resident License?
- What Are The Pre-Licensing Education Requirements?
- What Are The Nonresident License Requirements?
- What If I Am An Agent That Moves To Indiana?
- Can I Be Exempt From Pre-Licensing Education And Examination Requirements?
- Additional Licensing Information
- What Is The Procedure For Registering For An Exam?
- What Is The Fee To Take An Exam?
- How Do I Schedule Or Cancel An Exam?
- Social Security Number Confidentiality
- How Is The Exam Given?
- Can Arrangements Be Made For Someone With A Disability To Take The Exam?
- What Is The Question Format?
- How Do I Apply For A License?
- What Are The License Fees?
- How Do I Obtain A Current Certification Letter?
- How Do I Change My Name Or Address?
- Does Indiana Issue Temporary Licenses?
- What Are The Continuing Education (Ce) Requirements?
- License Qualifications Subject To Ce Requirements