What Are The General Requirements For Licensure In The State Of Delaware?
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be competent, trustworthy, financially responsible, and of good reputation
- Demonstrate competence to act as to the type of license and line(s) of authority applied for by successfully completing the qualification examination approved by the Commissioner
- Agents and Fraternal Representatives only: file at least one request for appointment by an authorized insurer
- Certify that the Certificate of Authority will not be used primarily for controlled business
- Pay to the Department all required fees
CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY (LICENSE)
Any individual or business entity desiring to serve the consumers of Delaware as an insurance agent, broker, surplus lines broker, fraternal representative, consultant, adjuster or motor vehicle appraiser must attain a Certificate of Authority from the Department of Insurance. The Certificate of Authority is permanent, subject to compliance with continuing education requirements. Nonresidents who must meet home state continuing education requirements are requested to certify annually upon notification from the Department, that their home state licenses are current and in good standing.
Individuals applying for licensure as an agent or fraternal representative must submit a request for appointment by at least one authorized insurer. Once approved, appointments are permanent, need never be renewed, and will remain in effect until terminated by either the licensee or insurer. A licensed agent or fraternal representative may be appointed by an unlimited number of insurers. Failure to be appointed by at least one insurer for a period of one year for a specific line of authority will result in cancellation of the Certificate of Authority.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Insurance Articles
- Where Can I Obtain Insurance Licensing Information?
- What Are The Specific Requirements For Licensure?
- How Can I Obtain The Required Forms For Insurance Licensing?
- What Are The Licensing Fees?
- Is Any Pre-Licensing Education Required?
- Are There Any Pre-Licensing Examinations That I Must First Take?
- How Do I Know How Many Continuing Education Hours I Will Need To Renew My License?
- What Do I Do If I Am A Non-Resident Licensee?
- Where Can I Find Continuing Education Providers?
- What Do I Need To Do If I Have An Address Or Name Change Or If I Change Agencies?
- How Do I Obtain Home State Certification?