How Can I Obtain A License Status Certification Letter?

A certificate of license status, or certification letter, is issued to Arizona resident licensees to enable them to apply for non­resident licenses in other states. You can obtain a certification letter at the Insurance Licensing Counter during office hours or by mail.

When requesting a certification by mail:

  1. Download, complete and submit form L­198. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer to use this document.

  2. Your request must be accompanied by a fee for each certification and a self­addressed, stamped envelope.
    • The fee is $2.25 per letter of certification for requests received on or before June 30, 2000.
    • The fee is $2.50 per letter of certification for requests received on or after July 1, 2000.

  3. Mail the completed Form L­198 with the appropriate fees and a self­addressed, stamped envelope to:
      Insurance Licensing Section
      2910 N 44th St., #210
      Phoenix, AZ 85018­7256

Requests received by mail are generally fulfilled in one to four weeks of their receipt. To access the Department`s current processing time for certification letters, call 602­912­8470 (or 877­660­0964 when calling outside the Phoenix area) and select the option, FOR INFORMATION CONCERNING THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT TAKES TO PROCESS LICENSE APPLICATIONS AND OTHER REQUESTS.

Requests for certification letters may be made in person. You may visit the Insurance Licensing Counter between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Mondays through Fridays. If you are requesting three or fewer certification letters, the Insurance Licensing Section will try to provide them on the spot. If you are requesting more than three certification letters, the Insurance Licensing Section will mail the certification letters to you in one to four weeks.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Insurance Articles

Search LawInfo's Insurance Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More