What Requirements Must A Foreign National Who Wants To Visit The U.S. Satisfy?
A nonimmigrant is a foreign national seeking to enter the U.S. temporarily for a specific purpose. Nonimmigrants enter the U.S. for a temporary period of time, and once in the U.S. are restricted to the activity or reason for which their visa was issued. They may have more than one type of nonimmigrant visa but are admitted in only one status.
General requirements for foreign nationals seeking temporary admission include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The purpose of the visit must be temporary.
- The foreign national must agree to depart at the end of his/her authorized stay or extension.
- The foreign national must be in possession of a valid passport.
- The foreign national, in most instances, must maintain a foreign residence.
- The foreign national may be required to show proof of financial support.
- The foreign national must be admissible or have obtained a waiver for any ground of inadmissibility.
- The foreign national must abide by the terms and conditions of admission.
Additional Immigration Articles
- Immigration Law
- U.S. Citizenship Basics
- The Immigration Process
- Permanent Residence (Green Cards)
- How do I become a U.S. citizen?
- Overstaying Your Visa
- Fiancé Visas
- The Widow's Penalty
- Do I Need a Visa to Travel Abroad?
- How to Get Immigration Assistance for Little or No Cost
- What Happens When You Divorce a U.S. Citizen Prior to Becoming a U.S. Citizen?
- Can I work in the U.S. if I am not a U.S. citizen?
- How can I help my fiancé become a U.S. resident?
- How can I help my relative become a U.S. resident?
- How can I help my employee become a U.S. resident?
- Crossing the Border
- Illegal Reentry into the U.S.
- The Immigration Removal Process
- Voluntary Departure
- What to do if Detained by Immigration (Infographic)
- U.S. Visa Overview
- How Can I Obtain An Immigrant Visa So That I May Live Here Permanently?
- Do I need a licensed attorney to help me fill out my immigration forms?
- Can an immigration lawyer speed up my case?
- I was issued a temporary visa to enter the United States legally, can I stay in the United States as a permanent resident?
- Do I Really Need To Divulge All Details About My Criminal History, Even If A Charge Has Been Expunged? What Are The Consequences If I Do Not?