What can a creditor do if a debtor won't pay?

Creditors are very likely to report the delinquencies to one or more credit bureaus, thus harming the credit record. In Idaho they may seek a judgment and court order to garnish wages; that is, an order to an employer to pay directly to the credit grantor some portion of your wages. Federal law sets a limit on what portion may be taken, and many state laws are even more protective. But if they have a good income, the probability is that some of it is subject to garnishment.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Foreclosure and Alternatives Articles

Search LawInfo's Foreclosure and Alternatives Resources