Can a Lender Sue a Borrower for a Deficiency Judgment if the Lender is Still Owed Money After a Foreclosure Sale in Washington State?

Sometimes. A lender is entitled to a deficiency judgment only if the mortgage agreement explicitly allows such a judgment. If the mortgage agreement is silent on this topic then the lender’s remedy is limited to the amount of money recovered for the property at the foreclosure sale.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Foreclosure and Alternatives Articles

Search LawInfo's Foreclosure and Alternatives Resources