How Can a Lender Foreclose on a Property in Michigan?

If a mortgage agreement for a Michigan property contains a power of sale clause then the lender can sell the property by providing the borrower and the public with the notice required in the mortgage agreement, or by state law, and by conducting the sale in accordance with the terms of the agreement, or state law.
However, if there is no power of sale clause in the mortgage agreement then the lender must go to court to obtain a default decree. The court typically gives the borrower a chance to repay the loan. If the borrower does not repay the loan in that time then the court issues a notice of sale and the foreclosure sale can take place.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Foreclosure and Alternatives Articles

Search LawInfo's Foreclosure and Alternatives Resources