I've fallen on bad times and am having trouble paying my mortgage. What should I do?

Homeowners facing financial difficulties and unable to make their mortgage payments are strongly encouraged to contact their lender. Many lenders offer assistance to their borrowers to help them bring their mortgage current. Homeowners may also want to contact a HUD-approved housing counseling agency to find out about programs that may be able to assist them, especially if communication with the lender has broken down. To find a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, please call 1-800-569-4287 or search online. 

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Foreclosure and Alternatives Articles

Search LawInfo's Foreclosure and Alternatives Resources