What If My Income Goes Down Or I Lose My Job?

ORS/CSS will collect child support based on the amount in the order that is currently in effect. If your income permanently changes, you may wish to pursue a review and adjustment of the child support order. ORS/CSS will review orders to determine whether the amount should be modified, but usually not more often than once every three years from the last date the order was established or modified. Before you request a review, you may want to estimate what your child support payment could change to if the order is modified. To calculate the new support amount you will need a pre­review packet consisting of child support guidelines worksheets, instructions and tables. To find out information about a pre­review packet and to view and print copies of the necessary forms and worksheets, consult the Customer Service Unit in the appropriate ORS/CSS office if you need more information about requesting a review.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Family Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Family Law Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More