What Can I Do If The Non-Custodial Parent Lives In Another State?

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) makes interstate enforcement of child support obligations easier than in the past. This Act has procedures under which an enforcement official or private attorney can refer a case for action in another state. Interstate wage withholding can be enacted through the states` child support agencies. UIFSA also includes a provision where there is only one valid child support order, and also includes a provision where a State can work a case against an out­of­state obligor if certain conditions are met.

In addition, a non­custodial parent who flees to another state to avoid paying child support can be arrested. A non­custodial parent can also have his/her tax refund intercepted, and in a few cases, may come under the jurisdiction of the federal courts.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Family Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Family Law Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More