Who Can Solemnize A Marriage?

A person authorized to solemnize marriages must be a priest, minister or rabbi of any religious denomination...a judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages...a judge or magistrate who has resigned from office, or one of miscellaneous other federal and state judges, justices, magistrates, and retired judges, magistrates or justices. The duties imposed upon the person solemnizing the marriage include conducting the ceremony, insuring the correctness of the facts set out in the marriage license, issuance of the marriage certificate, and returning the license, endorsed with the fact of the marriage, to the county recorder of the county in which the marriage ceremony was performed.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Marriage Articles

Search LawInfo's Marriage Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More