What are the Residency and Filing Requirements for Divorce in Connecticut?

Once residency is established in Connecticut, a divorce complaint can be filed. However, a divorce may only be granted if: (1) one of the parties has resided in Connecticut for 12 months; (2) one of the parties lived in Connecticut at the time the couple was married and intends to stay in Connecticut; or (3) the cause for divorce arose after the parties moved to Connecticut. (Connecticut Statutes Chapter 815j, Section 46b-44). A complaint for dissolution of marriage should be filed in Superior Court for the judicial district where either party resides. (Connecticut Statutes Chapter 815j, Section 46b-45).

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Search LawInfo's Family Law Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More