What Will Happen If The Police Are Called?
- You may call police either before or after you have gone to a shelter;
- Many police forces have a policy that they will lay charges in any domestic assault situation;
- Some police forces will require evidence of physical abuse before laying a charge;
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Child Abuse Articles
- What If Police Will Not Lay A Charge?
- Would it be possible for an abused spouse or children to remain in their home?
- Can A Remedy Be Obtained Without Trial On A Criminal Charge?