If An Answer Is Filed

If the non­custodial parent files an answer (responsive pleading), he/she has the right to a court hearing. The non­custodial parent also has the right to have the court determine how much he/she will have to pay for support. If the non­custodial parent (in this case an alleged father) denies that he is the father of the child(ren), he has the right to request that the court order paternity tests to determine if he really is the father. The court may order that he pays some or all of the costs of the tests, if it is determined that he is the father.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Family Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Family Law Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More