Where Do I Put My Advance Care Documents Once I Fill Them Out?

No advance care document will do you any good if it cannot be located when it's needed. A copy should certainly be placed in your medical record in your doctor's office, and another copy should be in your home. If you are receiving hospice care, home health care or are in a nursing home, a copy should be in the office of that agency or facility. Certain people besides your doctor should also have a copy of your advance care documents: your spouse, your agent and your next of kin. In addition, you may also want to give copies to your adult child or children, one or more close friends, your clergy or pastor, the nurse or home health aide who takes care of you or any other person you feel should have access to or know about the documents.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Estate Planning Articles

Search LawInfo's Estate Planning Resources