What Else Should I Know About Advance Directives?

Every hospital and many other places that provide health care in Maine have these forms or can tell you how to get them. Just ask your doctor or nurse. They can explain the forms, but they cannot give you legal advice. No one can make you sign a form or stop you from signing it. You also have the right to change or cancel a form at any time. The advance health care directive form does not allow others to control your money or property. It does not allow anyone to violate laws against mercy killing and euthanasia. If you have a complaint about how a hospital or other place of health care handled your advance directive, you can contact: Licensing Division Maine Department of Human Services 221 State Street Augusta, Maine 04333 (207) 624­5443

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Estate Planning Articles

Search LawInfo's Estate Planning Resources