Does The Landlord Have A Right To Come Into My Home Any Time She Pleases?
No. Generally, the landlord must give you 24 hours notice and get your permission to enter the property. However, a tenant can not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter into the rental in order to inspect the premises, make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements, supply necessary or agreed services, or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workmen, or contractors. n order to inspect, make repairs, alterations, improvements, supply necessary or agreed services or show the premises to purchasers, lenders, prospective tenants, workmen or contractors.
The landlord has the right to enter without the tenant's consent as follows:
(1) At any time in case of emergency (including prospective changes in weather conditions which pose a likelihood of danger to the property);
(2) Between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. for the purpose of providing regularly scheduled periodic services such as changing furnace and air-conditioning filters, providing termite, insect, or pest treatment, and the like, provided that the right to enter to provide regularly scheduled periodic services is conspicuously set forth in writing in the rental agreement and that prior to entering, the landlord announces his intent to enter to perform services; or
(3) Between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. for the purpose of providing services requested by the tenant and that prior to entering, the landlord announces his intent to enter to perform services.
Additional South Carolina Landlord Tenant Law FAQs
- Does The Law Apply To Me?
- What Should Not Be Included In The Rental Agreement?
- Does The Law Give Me Any Protection Against Unfair Rules?
- If I Don't Pay The Rent, What Can The Landlord Do?
- If I Have Not Paid My Rent Can The Landlord Take Any Of My Property?
- Sometimes My Friend Comes Over And Creates A Disturbance, Kicking In The Door, Breaking Windows, Etc. Can My Landlord Force Me To Move?
- What Are Ways I Can Notify The Landlord Of My Complaints?
- Can My Landlord Put Me Out Without Going To Court?
- If My Landlord Goes To Court To Put Me Out, What Can I Do?
- Can My Landlord Evict Me For Complaining About The Condition Of My Apartment?
- Can The Landlord Evict Me If I've Been Accused Of A Crime?
- Can The Landlord Evict Me If I Am Criminally Convicted For Breaking The Law In My Home?
- What Are The Landlord's Responsibilities?
- Do I Have To Fix The Landlord's Furnace Or Plumbing?
- How Can I Get The Landlord To Make Repairs If I Can't Contact Him/Her?
- If The Landlord Won't Make Repairs And I Want To Move, What Should I Do?
- What If You Want To Stay But Your Landlord Says She Can't Make The Repairs Unless You Move?
- What Can The Landlord Do If I Damage His Property?
- What Is The South Carolina Residential Landlord-Tenant Act?
- Do I Have To Have A Written Lease Before The Law Will Apply?
- Do I Need A Lawyer If I Have A Problem With My Landlord?
- Is There Any Limit To How Much Rent I Can Be Charged?
- Does The Law Help Me If I Have Been Discriminated Against In Renting An Apartment?
- What Should Be Included In The Rental Agreement?
- What Are My Rights If The Landlord Includes Any Illegal Conditions?
- If Either I Or The Landlord Do Not Sign The Rental Agreement, Is It Still Effective?
- Can The Landlord Make New Rules After I Move In?
- Can I Object To Rules Made After I Move In?
- How Much Notice Must Be Given Before Either The Landlord Or The Tenant Can End The Rental Agreement?
- What Is A Security Deposit?
- How Do I Get My Deposit Back When I Move?
- How Long Does The Landlord Have To Return The Deposit?
- When Can A Landlord Keep The Security Deposit?
- What Happens To The Security Deposit If The Landlord Sells The Place You Are Renting?
- What Are My Responsibilities As A Tenant?
- What Is Rent?
- I Can't Afford To Have My Water Turned On Right Now. Can I Be Forced To Move Out?
- My Landlord Came In To Fix My Sink And Left Me A Note That My House Was A Health Hazard And Unless I Cleaned He Would Evict Me. Can He Do That?
- Can The Landlord Refuse To Make Repairs If I'm Late Or Behind In Paying Rent?
- What If The Landlord's Appliances, Such As Stove Or Air Conditioner, Don't Work?
- Are There Any Exceptions To The Landlord's Duties?
- If The Landlord Won't Make Repairs And I Can't Move, What Should I Do?
- What If There Is An Emergency In The House?
- Are There Other Exceptions?
- What Can I Do If The Landlord Comes In Anyway?
Landlord Tenant Law Sub-categories
|Rent and Security Deposits|