Am I Entitled To Lunch And Rest Breaks?
There is no state law requiring a break be provided. The law does state that, with exceptions, an employee shall not be required to work for seven and a half or more consecutive hours without at least a thirtyminute meal period. Employers are exempt from the requirement if
- requiring compliance would be adverse to public safety,
- the duties of the position may only be performed by one employee,
- the employer employs less than 5 employees on a shift at a single place of business (only applies to that shift),
- the continuous nature of an employer's operation requires employees be available to respond to urgent conditions and employees are compensated for break and meal periods.
Additional Connecticut Labor & Employment Law FAQs
- What is the minimum wage in Connecticut?
- When Must An Employer Pay Overtime?
- Does Paying An Employee By Salary Exempt Them From Overtime?
- Must An Employer Provide Sick Pay, Vacation Pay Or Holiday Pay?
- If I Am Fired From My Job, How Soon Must My Employer Pay Me?
- What Can I Do If My Employer Owes Me Wages?
- Is There A Law Regarding Required Paydays?
- What Are The Criteria To Be Considered An Independent Contractor?
- How Do I Know If I Am Eligible To Receive Unemployment Benefits?
- When Should I Apply For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Do I File A Claim For Benefits?
- How Much Compensation Can I Receive?
- Can I Still Receive Benefits If I Am Working Part Time?
- Can I Collect Benefits If I Quit My Job?
- Can I Appeal A Denial Of Unemployment Benefits?
- Must I Hire An Attorney To Represent Me At The Hearing?
- Can I Obtain My Personnel File From My Employer?
- Should I Continue To File Claims For Benefits While Awaiting A Decision From The Appeals Division?
- What If My Former Employer Appeals And The Decision Is Made In Its Favor?
- When Will I Be Informed Of The Appeals Division Decision?
- How Do I Determine Whether Or Not I Am Liable For Unemployment Taxes?
- How Much Must An Employer Pay In Unemployment Taxes?
- Can An Employer File Their Quarterly Unemployment Compensation Returns Online?
- Can You Explain The Connecticut New Hire Program?
- What Methods Are Available For Reporting New Hires?
- Please Explain The Connecticut Apprenticeship Program.
- Is There Any Financial Assistance For Apprenticeship Programs?
- What Happens When I Complete My Apprenticeship?
- Please Explain The Customized Job Training (Cjt) Program.
Labor & Employment Law Sub-categories