In Florida, Can a Spouse Give Up His or Her Right to Alimony in a Premarital Agreement?
Yes, Florida law allows spouses to include modification or elimination of spousal support in their prenuptial agreement. However, if that modification or elimination of spousal support would cause one of the spouses to be eligible for public assistance at the time of the separation or divorce then the Court may require the other spouse to pay alimony to the extent necessary to avoid such eligibility.
Florida Family Law FAQs
- What Steps are Necessary to Enter a Valid Premarital Agreement in Florida?
- What Documents and Supporting Information are Required to be Submitted with a Divorce Petition in Florida
- When is Spousal Support or Alimony Awarded in Florida?
- What are Grounds for Divorce in Florida?
- What are the Laws in Florida about How Marital Property will be Distributed After Divorce?
- What are the Residency and Filing Requirements for Divorce in Florida?