What Is The Difference Between A Living Will And An Advance Directive?
A living will is a more limited type of advance directive because you only make decisions about lifesustaining procedures in the event that your death from a terminal condition is imminent despite the application of lifesustaining procedures or you are in a persistent vegetative state (permanent unconsciousness). The advance directive provides you with many more options, including the naming of a health care agent. With the advance directive, you can also make decision about lifesustaining procedures in the event of terminal condition, persistent vegetative state AND endstage condition. If you decide to make decisions about lifesustaining procedures in Part B of the advance directive, you should NOT fill out the living will too.
Search LawInfo's Estate Planning Resources
Additional Maryland Estate Planning FAQs
- What Are Advance Directives?
- What Is A Health Care Agent?
- Who Can I Choose To Be My Health Care Agent?
- Do I Have To Choose A Health Care Agent?
- What Is An End-Stage Condition?
- Do I Have To Use Any Particular Form?
- Do I Need Witnesses?
- Who Can Be A Witness?
- How Long Does An Advance Directive Remain In Effect?
- Can I Change My Mind?
- What If I Already Have A Living Will Or Durable Power Of Attorney For Health Care? Do I Still Need To Prepare An Advance Directive?
- Can I Be Denied Health Care If I Dont Have An Advance Directive?
- Who Can I Select As My Health Care Agent?
- Do The Forms Need To Be Notarized?
- Do Any Of These Documents Deal With Financial Matters?
- When Using These Forms To Make A Decision, How Do I Show The Choices That I Have Made?
- Should You Fill Out Both The Living Will And Advance Directive Form?
- Are These Forms Valid In Another State?
- To Whom Should I Give Copies Of My Advance Directive?
- If I Have An Advance Directive, Do I Also Need An Emergency Medical Services Palliative Care/Do-No-Resuscitate Order?
- Does The Ems Palliative Care/Dnr Order Have To Be In A Particular Form?
- Can I Use An Advance Directive To Make An Organ Donation?
- Where Can I Go For Additional Information?