What happens when someone is arrested for drunk driving?
In connection with being arrested on charges of drunk driving, it is likely that you’ll be searched by the police, your car will get towed and you’ll be sent to jail where you’ll be “booked.” In certain circumstances you may be able to get out of jail within a few hours of your arrest, either by posting bail or “on your own recognizance.” If not, then you may ask the judge to release you at your first court hearing. When permitted to use the phone in jail you should immediately call a drunk driving attorney or get a friend or family member to help you find one. The drunk driving attorney can guide you through the court process, as well as assist you with any related DMV hearings that may be required. After the arrest you’ll not only have to deal with criminal penalties, but also with suspension of your driver’s license and possibly civil lawsuits if anyone was injured in connection with your drunk driving.
Additional Drunk Driving Defense FAQs
- Can I refuse to take a field sobriety test if I have been pulled over on suspicion of drunk driving?
- Do all states have aggravated drunk driving laws?
- Is aggravated DUI a felony or misdemeanor charge?
- How much does it cost to hire a drunk driving attorney?
- What are some common factors that will result in an aggravated rather than a regular DUI charge?
- Can an attorney help me if I have been charged with drunk driving?
- What are the penalties for a drunk driving conviction if another person is injured or killed during the incident?
- What does a drunk driving attorney do for my case?
- How many DUI convictions can I have before I am charged with aggravated DUI?
- Will I be charged with aggravated DUI if my offense involved a child?
- Can a drunk driving attorney get my drunk driving charges dismissed?
- Are the penalties for an aggravated DUI conviction harsher than for a regular DUI conviction?
- What are "acts of God" and are they covered by my homeowner's insurance policy?
- What are the DUI penalties for a driver under 21 in Oklahoma?
- Do I need to hire a lawyer to defend me in a drunk driving case?
- Can a drunk driving conviction cost me my professional license?
- Do I need to hire a lawyer for my drunk driving case?