How Long Will A Bankruptcy Show On My Credit Reports?
The Bankruptcy Court has no jurisdiction over credit reporting agencies. The Fair Credit Reporting Act, 6 U.S.C. Section 605, is the law that controls credit reporting agencies. The law states that credit reporting agencies may not report a bankruptcy case on a person`s credit report after ten years from the date the bankruptcy case is filed. Other bad credit information is removed after seven years. The larger credit reporting agencies belong to an organization called the Associated Credit Bureaus. The policy of the Associated Credit Bureaus is to remove chapter 11 and chapter 13 cases from the credit report after seven years to encourage debtors to file under these chapters.
Search LawInfo's Bankruptcy Resources
Additional Bankruptcy FAQs
- What Is Bankruptcy?
- Is child support dischargeable in bankruptcy?
- Does filing for bankruptcy allow me to modify my child support obligation?
- Do I need an attorney to file bankruptcy?
- How long does the bankruptcy process take before debts are discharged?
- Who Can File For Bankruptcy?
- Someone who owes me money filed for bankruptcy. How do I know if I can still collect my debt?
- How Do I Know If I Should File For Bankruptcy?
- Will I lose my house, car, and other personal property in a bankruptcy?
- How can I find out if a person's debts were discharged during bankruptcy proceedings?
- Can I be evicted if I file for bankruptcy?
- After I File For Bankruptcy – Will My Creditors Still Be Able To Call Me?
- If I am being evicted by my landlord, can I stop the eviction by filing for bankruptcy?
- Do I have tell my landlord that I have filed for bankruptcy?
- What is a bankruptcy "means test?"
- Can my landlord evict me for filing bankruptcy even if I am current on my rent payments?
- What is a claim in a bankruptcy case?
- Can I file for bankruptcy every few years?
- Will bankruptcy cause me to lose my safe deposit box?
- Can a homeowner association lien be avoided in bankruptcy?
- Is There A Limit On The Number Of Times That I Can File For Bankruptcy?
- How does a bankruptcy work if I'm married?
- Does my divorce decree protect me if my ex-spouse has filed for bankruptcy and she has listed me as a co-signer on a Schedule D?
- What are bankruptcy exemptions?
- What is a bankruptcy plan of reorganization?
- What is a bankruptcy disclosure statement?
- What is a bankruptcy trustee and who is the United States trustee?
- What is the creditor's meeting in a bankruptcy proceeding?
- Where can I get advice about bankruptcy?
- Can An Employer Discriminate Against Me For Filing For Bankruptcy?
- What Documents Do I Need To Start A Bankruptcy?
- What Is The First Step In Filing For Bankruptcy?
- I want to know if I qualify for bankruptcy – what are the eligibility requirements?