What Does The West Virginia Wage Payment And Collection Act Require Of The Employer?
- Have a payday at least once every two weeks. (Does not apply to railroad companies by special arrangement.)
- Pay money in check or money order drawn on banks convenient to the place of work where arrangements have been made for cashing.
- On discharge, pay all wages, including fringe benefits, within 72 hours of the last hour of employment.
- On quitting, pay all wages, including fringe benefits, at the regular payday (except if one pay period's notice is given by the employee, all wages including fringe benefits must be paid at the time of quitting).
- On layoff or strike, pay all wages, including fringe benefits, at the next regular payday (except if requested by the employee all wages, including fringe benefits, must be paid by mail).
- Notify employees in writing at the time of hiring of the rate of pay and of the day, hour and place of payment and thereafter of any changes.
- Make known to all employees in writing or by accessible posted notice all employment practices and policies regarding vacation pay, sick leave and other fringe benefits.
- Furnish each employee with an itemized statement of deductions made from the wages of each pay period.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What Does The West Virginia Wage Payment And Collection Act Prevent Of The Employer?
- May An Employer Hold An Employee's Last Paycheck Until The Employee Returns Company Equipment In His Possession Such As A Laptop Computer, Office Equipment, Tools, Etc?
- Are Employers Required To Provide A Certain Amount Of Vacation Leave, Sick Leave Or Paid Holidays To Their Employees?
- For Purposes Of Paying Final "Wages" Within 72 Hours, Are Reimbursed Expenses (Such As Mileage) Considered Into The "Wages?"
- Upon The Termination Of An Employment Relationship, When Is An Employee Entitled To His/Her Last Pay Check?
- Is A Prime Contractor Liable For Its Subcontractors Unpaid Wages And Fringe Benefits?
- Must An Employer Provide An Employee With A Meal Break?
- What Do I Do If I Receive A Wage Assignment Or Garnishment Form From A Court Or Another Business?
- Can I Withhold Wages From An Employee's Paycheck For The Amounts He Or She May Owe The Company?
- Must I Always Pay A Male And Female Employee The Same Wages For Similar Work Or Are There Exceptions For Experience And Seniority?
- When Must An Employer Pay Prevailing Wages In West Virginia? Where Can An Employer Learn What The Applicable Rates Are?
- Is An Employer Required To Pay Employees For Unused Sick Leave When They Quit Or Are Discharged?
- May An Employer Pay Its Employees By Check Twice A Month?
- What Employers Are Subject To The Minimum Wage And Maximum Hours Law?
- What Is The Free Osha Consultation Program?