I Work On A Cash Register And At Times The Drawer Is Short. Can The Employer Deduct The Shortage From My Pay?

An employer may not deduct for shortages, damages, rent, uniforms, or any other reason (except applicable taxes). An employer may make a deduction for loan or advance against future earnings if evidenced by a statement in writing signed by the employee with the amount to be deducted each pay period. The statement may read "balance due upon separation".

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law for Employees Resources