What Occupations Are Prohibited For Minors?
Minors ages 14 and 15 are prohibited from performing certain types of work. Some examples of prohibited employment are employment involving the use of power driven machinery, construction work, work involving the use of chemicals, doortodoor sales, driving, and cooking. Lawnmowing is not prohibited for persons ages 14 and 15 under state law but is prohibited by federal law, except in domestic employment.
There are no restrictions on employment for persons age 16 and over under North Dakota youth employment laws. However, federal child labor laws prohibit certain types of employment for anyone under 18 years of age. Types of employment prohibited under these rules include roofing, most driving, and most work involving powerdriven machines.
Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney
Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment for employees attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What is the minimum wage in North Dakota?
- Am I Entitled To Breaks?
- What Can Be Deducted From My Wages?
- When Does My Employer Have To Pay Me After I've Quit Or Been Fired?
- What Is The Law Regarding Overtime?
- Am I Entitled To My Unused Vacation When I Quit Or Am Fired?
- Can My Employer Fire Me Without A Reason?
- What Is The Minimum Age For Employment?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours A Minor May Work?
- How Do I File My Unemployment Insurance Claim?
- What Are The Eligibility Requirements?
- How Do I Certify My Eligibility For My Weekly Unemployment Checks?
- What Amount Of Unemployment Will I Get?
- Are Unemployment Insurance Benefits Taxable?
- How Much Can I Earn And Still Be Eligible For Benefits?
- What If I Disagree With A Notice, Determination, Or Decision?
- What Happens After I File An Appeal?
- What Happens In An Appeals Hearing?
- Do I Continue To Certify My Eligibility While I Am Appealing A Decision On My Claim?
- Who Must Pay Unemployment Taxes?
- What Is The Taxable Wage Base?
- What Are The Tax Rates In North Dakota?
- How Do I Report And Pay The Taxes Due?