What Is The Minimum Age For Employment?
Minors not yet 14 may not be employed at any time, neither after school nor during vacation. Minors 14 and 15 years old may work after school hours and during vacations, but not in factory work. They may do delivery and clerical work in any enclosed office of a factory, and in dry cleaning, tailor, shoe repair, and similar service stores. Minors 16 and 17 years of age, if not attending school, may work full time throughout the year. Factory work is permitted for minors 16 years of age or older.
The following exceptions apply:
Minors 12 years of age or older may be employed in the hand harvest of berries, fruits, and vegetables. Minors 11 years of age or older may work outside school hours as newspaper carriers to deliver, or sell and deliver newspapers, shopping papers, or periodicals to homes or business places. Minors 14 years of age and older may be engaged in street trades work, i.e. selling newspapers or periodicals on streets or public places. Minors 12 years of age or older may work outside school hours for their parents or guardians either on the home farm or at other outdoor work not connected with a business. There is no minimum age for child performers at theatrical, radio, or television performances or for child models.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- What is the current minimum wage in New York State?
- What Is The Law Regarding Overtime?
- Must My Employer Provide For Rest And/Or Meal Periods?
- Must An Employer Pay Employees For Holidays, Sick Time And/Or Vacations?
- Can An Employee Be Fired Without Due Cause?
- When Is The Last Check Due To A Terminated Employee?
- How Can Employees Obtain Assistance In Collecting Wages Owed To Them By Their Employer?
- How Do I Apply For Unemployment Insurance?
- How Do I Qualify For Unemployment Benefits?
- How Is My Weekly Benefit Rate Determined?
- How Do I Claim My Weekly Benefits?
- Are Unemployment Insurance Benefits Taxable?
- Is An Employment Certificate Required?
- Are Certain Occupations Prohibited For Minors?
- What Are The Restrictions On The Hours A Minor Can Work?
- If An Employer Complies With The State Law Does That Guarantee Compliance With The Federal Law Or If The Employer Complies With Federal Law Does That Guarantee Compliance With State Law?
- When Is An Employer Liable For Unemployment Taxes?
- How Does An Employer Register As An Employer?
- What Is Required Once An Employer Is Determined Liable?
- What Are The Unemployment Tax Rates?
- Do I Have To Look For Work While Collecting Unemployment Insurance Benefits?