What is the minimum wage in New Mexico?
The minimum wage is $7.50 per hour for establishments under the jurisdiction of the State Minimum Wage Act, i.e. if the firm is a small employer not grossing $500,000 per year and not engaged in interstate commerce. Students are exempt from minimum wage if they work for an establishment that falls under state jurisdiction. The minimum wage is $5.15 per hour if the establishment grosses $500,000 a year or more, is engaged in interstate commerce or is a named industry under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act. Some of the named industries are schools, hospitals, nursing homes, state, county or municipal governments.
If the employee regularly receives $30.00 or more a month in tips, then the minimum wage is $2.13 per hour; however, the employee must receive at least enough tips to make the State minimum wage of $4.25 per hour or the Federal minimum wage of $5.15 per hour, which ever is applicable.
Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney
Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment for employees attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.
Additional Employment Law for Employees Articles
- Does An Employer Have To Provide Lunch Breaks Or Rest Periods?
- Does An Employer Have To Pay Holiday, Vacation, Sick Or Severance Pay?
- Can An Employer Require An Employee To Work Overtime?
- Can An Employer Give Compensatory Time Off Rather Than Pay Overtime?
- Can An Employer Reduce An Employee's Wage Or Salary?
- When Does An Employer Have To Pay Final Wages To A Terminated Employee?
- How Often Must An Employer Pay Employees?
- What Can I Do To Receive Unpaid Wages?
- Is A Work Permit Required For Minors?
- Are Certain Occupations Prohibited For Minors?
- Are There Restrictions On The Hours A Minor May Work?
- How Do I File A Claim For Unemployment?
- What Are The Eligibility Requirements?
- How Much Will I Receive In Unemployment Benefits?
- When Can I Expect To Receive My First Check?
- If I Was Fired Or Quit My Job, Can I Collect Benefits?
- If I Have A Separation Issue On My Claim, What Can I Expect?
- Where Can I Get Additional Information On Unemployment Insurance?
- What Is The Unemployment Insurance Tax Rate For A New Employer?
- What Is The Taxable Wage Base?
- As An Employer, How Do I Establish A Tax Account?
- When Does An Employer Become Liable For Unemployment Taxes?
- How Do I File Quarterly Wage Reports And Pay Taxes?
- What Is Apprenticeship?
- What Are The Basic Requirements For Entry Into Most Apprenticeship Programs?
- What Is The Human Rights Act?
- Where Can I File A Complaint Of Discrimination?